I am back from Aruba! I am already missing the sun, the sand … and temperatures nice enough to wear this striped two piece set haha. I had the most amazing week in Aruba (I’ll share posts on my trip later this week) and now I can’t wait for my next trip/adventure. Today I wanted to share with you all two things – 1) this striped two piece set that is perfect for vacation wear, and 2) my “travel adventure bucket list”. Read on for more about what the heck that is!
Earlier in the year I shared my Travel Bucket List; a list of the places I want to travel in my lifetime. As many of you know though, I am a really adventurous traveler, and so in addition to just a list of cities I want to visit, I also have a list of specific adventures I want to go on. I’ve been working on this list since high school, so as you will see below I’m lucky enough to have already completed some of my travel adventure bucket list!
I’ve had a lot of people ask me where my “boldness” comes from when it comes to travel; and the answer can really only be- my mom! My mom is also really into experiences and adventures and she instilled that sense of adventure in me at a very young age. As a child she allowed me to do so many amazing adventures – many things where I was the youngest person at by at least a decade. For example: she took me on one of those “underwater sea walks” when I was 5, swimming with dolphins when I was 7**, and parasailing when I was 10. (**note: Neither my mom nor I condone swimming with dolphins, and as a society we now know the harm that comes to these animals and the treatment at many of these facilities. This was not known to us back in the early 90’s when we went).
Really then, having a travel adventure bucket list is simply in my DNA. I couldn’t not make one (… plus I am a list-making addict, so let’s be real – I’ll take any excuse to make a list lol)
Before I get into my travel adventure bucket list though, I’ve got to talk about this vacation outfit! I practically lived in this outfit all week in Aruba. I wore it styled with this handbag, sunglasses and low heeled sandals for dinner at least twice, and I wore the long button down duster jacket on it’s own as a beach cover up whenever I needed to give my skin a break from the sun. This striped set is under $30, so it’s a great affordable buy for any upcoming vacations you may have.
One thing I will note though – the pants are really long! For reference I am just under 5’8, and I am wearing 2 inch heels with this outfit. As you can see the pants still skim the ground! If you’re under 5’5, just know that you will likely have to hem these pants.
Also – as you can see in the links above, I’ve found a dupe for my heart shaped sunglasses! These heart-shaped sunglasses from Amazon are under $15 and look nearly identical to the designer version.
Okay, on to my travel adventure bucket list!
Travel Adventure Bucket List:
1. Climb Mount Kilimanjaro (Arusha, Tanzania, Africa): I would love to do a guided hike up this mountain!
2.Go on an African Safari (Tanzania, Africa): After my first year law school I worked at a women’s legal aid clinic in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. This gave me an opportunity I had been waiting for since I was a child – a chance to go on an African safari! I took a week off during my work term and 3 friends and I did a camping safari on the Serengeti. It was truly the most amazing experience of my life thus far. We saw all of the big 5 animals, and slept right in the wild on the Serengeti.
3. Visit the Pyramids (Giza, Egypt)
4. Visit the Wailing Wall (Jerusalem, Israel): Similarly, this is a bucket list item I was able to cross off thanks to a “right place, right time” situation. I attended a one month program at Hebrew University in Jerusalem during my Master’s Degree (.. yes, I have a Master’s Degree as well as a law degree … I went through a bit of a “let’s just stay in school forever” phase lol). Since this was only school Monday-Friday we had weekends free to explore, and I was able to visit the wailing wall.
5. See the Northern Lights (Norway or Alaska)
6. Sleep in a Tree House ( ???): I don’t even know where I want to do this one, I just want to sleep in a treehouse! If you have any suggestions of locations, let me know!
7. Swim with Sharks (Caye Caulker, Belize): The scariest adventure I’ve completed off my travel adventure bucket list has got to be this one. I went swimming with sharks while in Belize. Even though they were only nurse sharks; which are naturally friendly creatures, it was terrifying because it was so ‘laissez-faire’. Basically a local guide took 1o of us out in a power boat to a sandbank in the ocean and he threw a bunch of meat in the water. The sharks, naturally, came to eat the meat … and then he told us to jump in. The boat was me and all men, and everyone looked terrified. Feeling the need to show-off and prove my bravery I was the first to stand up, take a deep breath, and jump right in. I’m glad I did it, because swimming with these sharks was amazing. One swam so close to me I was able to ‘pet’ him.
8. Stay in an Ice Hotel (Abisko, Sweden)
9. Hot Air Balloon over Cappadocia (Cappadocia, Turkey)
10. Stay in an Overwater Bungalow (Bora Bora, French Polynesia)
11. Float in the Dead Say (Israel/Jordan border): During the same study abroad program during my Master’s Degree mentioned above, I was able to also check this one of my travel adventure bucket list. This experience is so worth it if you have the opportunity. You can hear, and accept that this is the saltiest body of water on the planet, but until you are actually in it you really can’t comprehend what that feels like. You float so easily and yes, to answer what many people ask, it does sting a bit!!
12. Swim with Sea turtles (Maui, Hawaii)
13. Attend La Tomatina (La Bunol, Italy): For those of you who don’t know, this is the giant tomato food fight that is held annually. It seems absolutely hilarious/fun/amazing!
14. White Water Raft the Nile (Jinja, Uganda): Back in July of 2012 I checked this one off the travel adventure bucket list. Obviously there are many places in the world you can white water raft on the nile (spoiler alert; it’s a long-ass river lol) but I went in Uganda, and am so glad I did. The rapids were intense, but fun, and the warm weather made things so much fun.
15. Go Volcano Boarding (Leon, Nicaragua): Yep; you read that right; volcano boarding. In Leon you can do a 45 minute hike up Black Hill, an active volcano, and once you’re at the top you get a plywood board and go racing (boarding) down.
And that’s it folks! I would love to hear what items are on your ‘travel adventure bucket list’. Maybe I’ll find some more things to add to mine! Let me know in the comments below what adventures are on yours!
Shop The Post: