Ever wonder what a professional wedding photographer photographer would say the biggest tips for couples photos shoots / wedding photos are? Me too! Luckily, my friend Lydia is a highly sought after wedding photographer (people fly her to weddings across the globe, she’s that good!) Lydia offered to take engagement photos for Alex and I and give me her top tips for engagement photo shoots to share with all of you.
Whether you’re a bride-to-be getting ready for engagement or wedding day photos, or whether you just want to have better photos with your partner, these tips are so helpful.
First a bit about our engagement photos. Even though Alex’s proposal was basically an engagement photo shoot , we decided to get engagement photos taken in the woods at my parents property in December. It’s a place that, obviously, has meaning to me – my family has lived on the property since I was 3 years old. I grew up playing in the woods and now whenever I visit home one of our biggest family activities is hikes through the woods. I’ve loved being able to share that with Alex, and he’s one the one who came up with the idea of taking engagement photos in the woods!
I’ve known Lydia of Lydia Ivy Photography since we were 13 years old. We met in middle school and I’ve had the great privilege of watching her turn her talent and passion for photography into a booming businesses as a highly sought after wedding photographer. It meant so much to me that she wanted to take engagement photos of Alex & I, and I am blown away by the photos! They are truly magical. If you’re looking for engagement photos or a wedding photographer, you need to check her out!
Last thing before we get on to Lydia’s engagement photo tips, my dress! This burgundy red velvet gown is by Australian designer Elle Zeitoune. I found two similar ones, both under $150 that I wanted to share with you if you’re looking to get a similar statement dress. Shop them here and here.
Top 10 tips for engagement photos:
1) Schedule your session around the sun! think about doing it the hour after the sun rises or the hour before the sun sets
2) Get close to each other! This is the best part – treat the session like a date! Sneak a kiss always.
3) Wear something you feel yourself in!
4) Prep your outfits before hand – no loud patterns or bright colours.
5) Do you hair and makeup – feel good about yourself.
6) Make sure you clean your ring before the shoot. Make it nice and sparkly!
7) Go somewhere that is meaningful to you and your partner.
8) Find a photographer you really connect with – this is important so you can be yourselves.
9) Don’t worry about the weather – you can’t control it, so go with it!
10) Be enthusiastic about it! Telling this part of your story matters, so have fun!