Happy International Women’s Day!!! I love celebrating IWD every year and this year I wanted to share a few things – outfits inspired by women who inspire me and the 5 things I’m doing to celebrate International Women’s Day today (that you may want to do as well!)
First off, the outfits! This year, being 5 1/2 months pregnant, I’ve found myself looking at a lot more maternity fashion inspiration from women I admire. One such woman is the Duchess of Cambridge, aka. Princess Kate. This polka dot dress is by the brand Seraphine Maternity which is a brand that Kate wore a ton during her pregnancies.
I’m so in love with the Seraphine Maternity brand, and can definitely see why celebrities like the Duchess of Cambridge wear their pieces. This polka dot dress is not only bump friendly but nursing friendly as well. Since my baby BOY (yep, I announced yesterday it’s a boy!) is due in July, I knew I wanted lightweight dresses that I could wear while nursing him during the summer. This dress is so perfect for that!
I also got this lilac floral dress from Seraphine, which the Duchess of Cambridge wore during her last pregnancy! I think it will also be great for summer barbecues and family events while nursing noodle baby.
I admire the Duchess of Cambridge for a few reasons – I really like that she takes her role as a senior royal seriously and focuses on charitable activities and giving back. I also like that she’s so protective over her family and focused on giving those children the closest thing that she can to a normal childhood. She walks what I think is a really difficult line with a lot of grace.
As far as other women who inspire me and outfits inspired by them; check out the following photos. Tap on to view a full post on why I am inspired by the woman and for outfit details!
1. Sending e-cards to 5 friends telling them how important they are to me and why I admire them so much. I’m also going to send them each a little gift. 🙂
2. Donating $50 each to three non-profits working to help women. I’m donating to two global non-profits- Women for Women International and Dress for Success. I’m also donating to one local non-profit, the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre.
3. Ordering some new books to educate myself further. The books I’m ordering are: Girlhood, Hood Feminism and Blood, Water, Paint which tells the story of Artemisia Gentileschi, a 16 century painter who won a trial against in rapist and is often considered the first woman to take her sexual assault to a court of law.
4. Taking time today to connect women in my profession – I’m going to send emails connecting some young women who I know who are either law students or first year lawyers with senior female lawyers who I think would be great resources for them.
5. Thanking the women who follow me over on instagram! I’m going to share a story in the morning asking women to share 1 thing they love about themselves. I’ll pick 5 women who respond and send them each a $5 Starbucks gift card on me so they can treat themselves.